Neutral Quilt / Birds in the Air Block
My blocks are piling up ! It's time to start sewing the quilt together.
Progress has been smooth going so far on this quilt. Mixing up the fabrics gives it an interesting look. I have changed my mind about size several times and have made far too many blocks, there will be enough for another design.. Until I got to the border !!!!
Finding a fabric for the set in triangle border has been a challenge ! The piece of fabric I had in mind is a fraction too small. So........ back to the design drawing board. I decided to sleep on this.......... it's always better to think out a problem in the morning. I have come up with an option I like, it also helps the fabric go further. As usual when this happens, I like this idea much better then my original plan. Glad I made all those extra blocks, almost like it was supposed to be this way. That's what I love about designing quilts is you never completely know the end result. I always have an idea, plan, or concept of what I want to achieve to begin with. But !!! somewhere through the process decisions need to be made that can change the whole outcome. Oh what fun ! Here is my selection process.
[caption id="attachment_2168" align="aligncenter" width="267"]
Trial border fabric, too light ![/caption]
[caption id="attachment_2166" align="aligncenter" width="283"]
Trial border options, too many fabrics[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_2171" align="aligncenter" width="340"]
Final decision on border options[/caption]
I hope you can see, I have placed a block in the border, in between the setting triangles. This made my border fabric go a little further and I was able to use the fabric that was a fraction too small. This fabric is the same tone as the rest of the quilt and really looks so much better then the lighter one. I also like the look of the quilt better with the added blocks, it makes it a bit more interesting.
Now to baste my quilt. I am looking forward to the quilting. Already thinking of what design I will quilt.